Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Troika- Before the Music

Last year the Troika Music Festival was amazing. One great band after another. Big touring bands, the best of local bands. Hopping burgeoning venues, Jo and Jo's, 305 South alive, Duke Coffeehouse with a new breath. It's what I wanted to see and hear again this year.

First the Pin Projekt. Huh? Pin projekt? whazzat? I actually know noone who went... anyone got a report on this?

The buzz surrounding this festival this year was absent. An email went out that it was time to sign up, and bands had to do it through ReverbNation. Cool! It was time for Troika again. And then nothing. I had thought about helping out, but never heard the call for volunteers. My email bounced. I didn't hear or see another word until about 2 weeks prior, and the schedule was posted on their website.

And then the griping, very quietly, started. I kept hearing whispers of "no organization" and "organizers losing it" and "I'll be surprised if it even happens". I didn't see any promo, and couldn't find information about how I'd get a ticket until the Indy published a great layout with lineup and some streamed music online. Why the absence of promotion? I asked my friends if they were going to Troika. "When's that?" they'd ask, and they are the people who're supposed to be in the know.

So I started to talk to my band friends. Seems communication from the Troika folks was a bit lacking. Bands were not asked if they could play their given slots or even confirmed at all for that matter, venues were not confirmed either. SOme venues owners found out they were hosting Troika when the schedule was listed in the Indy. Emails weren't returned, questions left unanswered. Several bands dropped out. Hmm...

What's the story here? Too much festival for not enough volunteers? Another friend said they tried to volunteer, with more than one email sent and no email response. Other friends of friends who helped out last year steered a mile wide, last year left a bad taste for some reason. I never got the whole story on that- left me curious.

And the schedule. I looked at the schedule for Bull City Headquarters on Saturday. Impossible I thought. 17 bands, one band every half hour until midnight. In the very small, scantily equipped BCHQ... No beer, unreliable toilet, no food, big boxy sound, poor temperature control (toohot, toocold). Why this venue for the main day? I wanted to go just to observe the logistics of what was potentially a supreme nightmare. But the bands listed were fantastic. If I got to hear 3 of these bands, it would be a stellar music day.

look at this clusterf*. I can't even read it.

Bull City Headquarters723 N. Mangum Street, Durham, NCAll Ages — Alcohol-Free Space$10.00 • The Everybodyfields 11:00 pm • Bodies of Water 10:00 pm • Phosphorescent 9:00 pm • Ben Davis and The Jetts 8:30 pm • Bellafea 8:00 pm • Ex-Members 7:30 pm • Richard Bacchus and The Luckiest Girls 7:00 pm • New Dawn Fades 6:30 pm • On the Take 6:00 pm • Opening Flower Happy Bird 5:30 pm • Midtown Dickens 5:00 pm • (BREAK) 4:00 - 5:00 pm • Eberhardt 3:30 pm • Sweater Weather 3:00 pm • Fan Tan 2:30 pm • Simple 2:00 pm • Betty and The Boys 1:30 pm • The Drowsies 1:00 pm

The problem with the venues is they were so spread out. I remember maybe 3 years ago, when it was still the Durham Music Festival, hundreds of people were running (on foot) back and forth between venues, catching 15 minutes of each band, between the Armory, Jo and Jo's, Ringside, that club that I can't remember the name of... There were so many people out, and everyone so thrilled to hear all the music. Downtown was alive, a different place. But this year, you have to drive between venues (or bike), except with James Joyce and Alivia's.

Now let me bitch about the cost. The pass was $20, ok, I'd do that. But what's the story with this show 2 weeks later, for an additional $15... I think of a festival as a weekend affair. 2 weeks away is almost disconnected. I don'geddit. If you didn't want to buy a pass, each venue was $8-10! That gets pricey if you've just got a few bands you want to hear. I'd think if you're trying to appeal to music loving folks like me, to bring us in, you'd bring the cost down. Maybe a one-day pass, or punch card, or something like that. And where does all that money go anyways?

I wonder how the attendance turned out after all 3 days. I made it to all 3 days, and I'll write about the bands I heard next. Let's just say thank god it's about the music, and not about the logistics.
bzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: