Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Troika Bands that I got to see and hear...

The point of this blog is to provide raw show reviews, from the gut. So far I just complained about the set up of Troika. But let me be a bit positive, just for a second. There was tremendous music to be had at this thing. When I saw the entire schedule I was thrilled. I saw many favorite bands listed, but also saw many bands I'd not heard before.

Thursday's plan: Regina Hexaphone, Can Joann, Busy World, Ships, Maple Stave, Bull City, Hundred Air, Megafaun, Dry Heathens.

Friday's plan: The Pneurotics, Grey Young, Sawteeth McTweedy, Lam Lam, Sequoya, Citified, Beloved Binge, Soft Company, Noncanon, Fontana, Luego, and Grappling Hook.

Saturday, BCHQ full on binge (not of the Beloved, but a musical excess), again, fabuloso bands, but how's this gonna work?

What really happened. I saw 1/3 of the bands that I meant to see, and a few I didn't mean to. James Joyce and Alivia's were just too chilly for my blood. Couldn't handle the outside venue on a chilly fall night. My fault, totally, poorly dressed, went Friday for a quickie, but too sissy, couldn't handle it. Little did I know that Bull City Headquarters would be cold both on Thurs and Fri nights...

And I flat out didn't make it all the way downtown. For the Marvell, I didn't make it in time. And Ringside was high on the list, but it seemed once I hit a location, I locked down and planted. It was tough to move, I think due to lack of motivation to drive anywhere.

THURS: So let's start with Maple Stave. I wasn't there for long, but it seemed an off night for this usually great band. Their songs are so quirky, with time changes and odd signatures, and intricate rhythms, it seems if one person gets off, the whole rig cartwheels, and this felt a bit gymnastic. They still hold a special place in my list, and I'll keep on going and listening. I felt an odd tension in the air at BCHQ that night-from the bands, from the volunteers running the place (kudos to them for their time spent on this venue). It was like no one wanted to be there and that kind of thing just rubs off on the audience and it's my guess that Maple Stave felt this too.

Bull City: These guys do pretty good live shows. Jim Brantley is an excellent musician, a talented guitarist, got the chops, writes great songs. The guitarists together have great chemistry, and height. They get the licks out, and have the passion. The bassist seems a bit out of place, with the near-disco dance maneuvers, and corny off-the-stage prancing, nodding and flirting at the audience, girls and boys. But he keeps a good rhythm and is entertaining to watch. Although some of the songs sound like covers, thinking, "who did this song first?" only to hear that they are original, they are well-executed. But Jim Brantley makes this band and they are worth seeing and hearing.

Shakermaker: Haven't heard these guys before. They have a happy, poppy guitar sound, with acoustic and electric up front, switching up instruments and lead vox. Jesse sang initially with wild-eyed, head swinging and bouncing, big smiling enthusiasm, hard not to catch on. Then he was moved to the side, and the other guitarist got up front, with a different performance personality-- subdued and gentle. I found that the music fell to the background, pleasant, but I stopped watching after a bit, more interested in my conversation. Keep the bouncing guy up front-subtle may be good for a record but not so much when it comes after that much energy.

Megafaun: How is it that I didn't get out of the Duke Coffeehouse to see them. Time sense gone by then. Here's the report from afar- lots of audience participation, fun for the few who were there, and there should have been more. The Indy reports that these guys offered up their piano to NY musician Melissa St. Pierre, as the BCHQ piano was so bedraggled and out of tune it was unplayable. Lemons = lemonade.

Dry Heathens: The crowd moved to the edge of the stage for this one. Grinding guitar, thwomping basslines, and a new drummer all came together. It's punk, but it's got a melodic sensibility that makes it accessible. Lead singer has a snarky snarl, but smiles appreciation at his bandmates. Bassist lost a string mid-song and transposed well enough, until Shakermaker brought in a borrowed bass from the car, and the show went on. The night finished out with an audience-member-performed Ramone's "I wanna be sedated" with singalong.

It was an eclectic night at the Coffeehouse, fairly attended, a high of about 35, plenty of room to sit, roam and never a wait at the bathroom.

On to FRIDAY:
To the Broad Street Cafe:

The Pneurotics: I caught the last two songs. Rich Mclaughlin plays guitar like noone I've seen or heard. His twangly jangly licks are complicated and noodly, and the songs are interesting, both visually watching the band and listening. The bassist is his wife, and they seem to have fun together. Rich reported it was the drummers last gig with them, so we'll see what happens. There were a lot of people there for an early show, standing up against the stage, and seems they have a loyal following for a unique sound.

Then ran to Duke Coffeehouse to try to catch what I could-- got there during a break, seemed like a bunch of young Duke students, waited for a bit, then ran by the James Joyce/Alivia's combo to catch Sequoya or Sawteeth McTweedy or Beloved Binge. Or whoever I could. The Durham Duo, I love this, couples who share the songwriting, switching instruments, switching singing duties. All 3 of these bands have skills at this and it is impressive.

I saw a bit of Beloved Binge, what time is it getting to be??? I peeked out on the James Joyce patio, little raised stage, perfect for a duo. My favorite is when Rob Beloved plays guitar, and Eleni Binge plays drums. She appears to play drums with all parts of her body, both legs hopping, head nodding vigorously, and arms wailing, all independent of each other. But the song I heard, Eleni was playing the guitar. It was just too cold. I couldn't stay. No amount of Jameson's could do it. This ruled out Alivia's too.

So I went back to Broad St. And that is where I stayed. I missed Grappling Hook, and I missed Fontana and Luego. The Broad Street Cafe seemed to be run on a pretty tight schedule, and the bands had 45 min for playing and set change. This was unlike many of the other venues. Apparently Duke Coffeehouse was about 1 hr behind schedule. I could have caught everyone. Maybe.

Soft Company. Used to be Missy Thangs. I'm not so fond of either name. But I do love the band. Mostly I love Missy Thangs. She is frequently out of tune, perfectly so, and her rich tone and her hair flying and tapping leg, all add up to pure appeal. The band is so talented musically, been around this block a few times in other bands , each adds a layer of sound, but in Broad Street it was really, really loud. Lots of people actually had their hands over their ears, but they stayed front row anyway. My favorite song is this warbly funhouse almost funereal romp called something about a diamond. The men of the band look a little bored, but their sweat gives them away.

Gambling the Muse. This was a surprise. I'm not a huge country fan. This ventures into the realm of Alt Country. Lead man Daniel was charismatic, but I kept thinking he needed a tamborine, or something to hang onto, maybe a bottle of Jack or something. The harmonies were gorgeous, and the banjo/mandolin/guitar player so talented. A lap steel made its way to the floor about 75% of the way into their set. Apparently he played with Fontana at the Duke Coffeehouse, and hence the late arrival to the show. Ah, these musicians with multiple projects...

SATURDAY: BCHQ woohoo!

I'm gonna do this whole dingdang day here. I want to see just how it's done. I approach, and an evangelist with a bullhorn is making sure I know just who's near, above, and watching me, and on the next corner, I get an offer to pray with me. I think I might pray that the day goes off without a hitch, and the PA works, and there are people here for this, but not too many.I enter, and it was even louder than at Broad St. Everyone had ear plugs. It was standing room only. Because there wasn't anything to sit on. The room was split in half with a PA at either end. While one band played, behind you another set up. There were a fair amount of people there. Most are musicians it seems, but also it looks like the bands' friends and families are there: grey haired parental looking people, kids, smiling friends.

I enter to hear the last few songs by Betty and the Boys. I don't know this band, but I like the attitude. Betty looks snarky, and sassy, and I just like her. The music is spunked up distorted guitar. worth seeing again, but I can't recall any of their songs...

Simple, simply too loud, I had to go eat something. Don't count them out though, I think I was still dealing with a little of Friday night's chemical attempt to keep warm.

Fan Tan. This is a band I meant to go see a million times, and never made it for so many reasons, then they up and move to NY. But wow. My favorite of the day. Mostly because of Kuki. There are no drummers like Kuki. He's fluid and so interesting to look at. His rhythms are complex, but he makes it look so simple. He is daintily destructive, and intertwines syncopation with the bassist (who I think is his wife or girlfriend) who keeps a constant picked metallic thunkathunk bass. The lead singer is hip-80's NY tight leg jeans, white converse, beatlesque hair, and Cure-like vocals. And they pushed the 30 minute envelope, playing their "last song" at least 3 times. Turn around, and its....

Sweater Weather. I am not sure how many people were in the band, lots. They are so young and jubilant. They have an air of naivete, and sweetness to them. Their songs are built around the acoustic guitarists weaving vocals, that soar to a crescendo in a build of accordians, cellos, keys, and audience provided percussion. There's no lack of passion here, but the songs all seem to blend together, and I don't remember the songs.

I'd like to interject here that I hate earplugs, and there was no way to escape this show without them.

Next Eberhardt. They were the last band before the break. Rebekah's voice is the best thing about this band though her singing does seem to sound quite a lot like Des Ark. I think over time she will make her voice more her own.

And then I gotta go. I'm done. I'm tired of standing up, and doing the stand and spin for the day.

And then I got waylaid, and tired, and next thing I knew, Saturday was over... Anyone want to comment on any bands that I did not, please do.

So that's what I have to say about Troika. That is too much to see and too much to say. But what I do know is we have some talent here in this area that's unmatched. I wonder if I would say that if I lived somewhere else.

bzz

No comments: